Official World Cup Thread + Fantasy Game

Started by Rob, March 29, 2010, 10:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drama Queen

Quote from: Blade on July 13, 2014, 10:49:23 AM
Why?

May aswell get rid of the bronze medal from all sporting competitions then

Doesn't follow. An Olympic medal means something, even a bronze. Third place in the world cup is completely meaningless, I can remember all of the winners, most of the finalists, and even a lot of the semi finalists because getting to the last four is a big deal.... But the distinction between third and fourth means absolutely zero.

FXBlade

Well it means something in the FIFA rankings, so yeah I wouldnt say it was pointless.

It does actually mean something, so if having it means you can get a better seed at a future tournament, why not?

vs. Brazil

Quote(G)Cillessen
(D)D. Kuyt
(D)S. De Vrij
(D)R. Vlaar
(D)B. Martins
(D)D. Blind
M)Georginio
(M)de Guzmán
(M)J. Clasie
(F)Van Persie
(F)A. Robben

vs Spain

Quote(G)Cillessen
(D)D. Janmaat
(D)S. De Vrij
(D)R. Vlaar
(D)B. Martins
(D)D. Blind
(M)de Guzmán
(M)Sneijder
(M)N. De Jong
(F)Van Persie
(F)A. Robben

Holland made what, 3 changes? from the team that started the tournament and one of those was because Sneijder hurt his hamstring.  They could have piut out a whole differen team and and didnt, I think finishing 3rd meant something to them

Jerry McClean

De Jong's change was enforced through injury as well.

I actually like them. Normally plenty of goals as teams just play.

Drama Queen

Quote from: Blade on July 13, 2014, 11:43:07 AM
Well it means something in the FIFA rankings, so yeah I wouldnt say it was pointless.

It does actually mean something, so if having it means you can get a better seed at a future tournament, why not?

vs. Brazil

vs Spain

Holland made what, 3 changes? from the team that started the tournament and one of those was because Sneijder hurt his hamstring.  They could have piut out a whole differen team and and didnt, I think finishing 3rd meant something to them

About as relevant as a friendly then. I'm not saying they shouldn't have it, those are Cory's words. I am pointing out that your argument that we might as well eliminate all third place playoffs in every sport is illogical. An olympic bronze is way more relevant than third place in the world cup.

Years from now brazil and holland will both have semi final appearances in their statistics, and nobody will care who finished third and fourth.

People WILL probably remember the 7-1 annihilation because that was historical in itself, but that's another matter.

Drama Queen

Come to think of it... To counter my own argument alas.... Doesnt the Olympics give bronze to both semi finalist these days? Or is that only in certain sports?

Jon

Quote from: C.J. Gates on July 13, 2014, 11:10:28 AM
Do they get anything for the third place game in the World Cup? If it's just for bragging rights, then there may not be a point. If they actually get a "bronze trophy" of sorts, then maybe there's an actual point.

No trophy. But IMO, getting to represent your country, albeit in a game that may not mean much, is still something in itself.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

FXBlade

It's real to me dammit!

I'm still. Bitter that England finished 4th at italia 90! 3rd place is everything!

GM Franchise

Germany scores! Four minutes until they win the World Cup.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Flins.

Gates

Quote from: Drama Queen on July 13, 2014, 12:25:05 PM
Come to think of it... To counter my own argument alas.... Doesnt the Olympics give bronze to both semi finalist these days? Or is that only in certain sports?

I believe Olympic hockey only gives bronze to the winner of the Bronze Medal game.

Krazy

BOOOOOOO! I smelled a rigged game. Just because front runner is gone doesn't mean you rig the games to have an international power to win. Look at their wins just saying.

Dorling

Quote from: Krazy on July 13, 2014, 06:44:53 PM
BOOOOOOO! I smelled a rigged game. Just because front runner is gone doesn't mean you rig the games to have an international power to win. Look at their wins just saying.

Someone has to say it.

What the fuck are you talking about?

GM Franchise

Germany was the best team in the tournament and deserved to win. They overall played the best team game. Reminded me of the Spurs in the NBA Finals especially against Brazil in the semi finals.
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Rob

Quote from: Krazy on July 13, 2014, 06:44:53 PM

Front runner? Brazil were pish. Germany proved they were the best when they demolished them. Unfortunately both teams cancelled each other out in the game but Germany's defense nullified Argentina's attack completely. Hummels was an absolute beast. The best team in the world won this.
SixersEagles

[/center]

GM Franchise