News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

What kind

Started by Zombie Gunn, December 30, 2008, 06:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Gunn

What's your preference?

Series books or standalone?

Long (400+pages) or short?

Popular writers or unknown?

What genre?

What's your favorite authors?

Fav books of all time?

Red

hmm lets see.

Standalone - I lose interest in series halfway through most of the time. And authors rarely have the chops to keep it great all the way through.

Long books. Generally. MASSIVE. but short books that have quirky writing are good as too.

I rarely pick based on authors, unless I've heard great reviews, or read other works by them.

I'll read just about anything.

Works of Louis Carroll are a huge favourite of mine. I've got 3 + copies of 'Alice's Adventures'. But its hard to pick ONE fave. lol

Anyone else?

jayjames

What's your preference? I like romance/mystery/sci-fi/ fiction

Series books or standalone? Series by far. I love continuity and character development.

Long (400+pages) or short? Long or short, if it's good it's good.

Popular writers or unknown? I enjoy mostly popular writers, but sometimes unknown writers are just as good or even better.

What genre? ^^ read preference

What's your favorite authors? Nora Roberts, Laurell K. Hamilton, Charlaine Harris, Jeaniene Frost, L.A. Banks

Fav books of all time? I picked these as my favorites because of their re-read value;
"Angels Fall" by Nora Roberts
"Starlight Passage" by Anita Richmond Bunkley
"Wolf River" by Jill Gregory (this book really got me back into reading a few years ago)
"Full Moon Rising" by Keri Arthur (the rest of the series sucks, but the first book is excellent)
"The Damned" by L.A. Banks (just fantastic)
"The Vampire Armand" by Anne Rice (fantastic!!)

last but not least;
"Danse Macabre" by Laurell K. Hamilton - this was the first anita blake book i read and it hooked me into the series.

Zombie Gunn

I haven't read armand yet. I read interview and lestat.

LOVED interview and Anne Rice's Violin was amazing as well.

Smash INC

Series books or standalone? Either, a good book is a good book.

Long (400+pages) or short? In this case, I prefer longer books.

Popular writers or unknown? Varies depending on genre and how I feel at the time.

What genre? Fantasy in particular.

What's your favorite authors? Terry Pratchett, Phillip Pullman.

Fav books of all time? "Moving Pictures" by Terry Pratchett.

jayjames

Quote from: Sirenum Scopuli on January 10, 2009, 05:42:01 PM
I haven't read armand yet. I read interview and lestat.

LOVED interview and Anne Rice's Violin was amazing as well.

Anne is fantastic with description. She can really bring her characters and their grandiose worlds to life.

jagilki

What's your preference? Books

Series books or standalone? Either.  Although if it's a series, I prefer to start at the begining.

Long (400+pages) or short? Either.

Popular writers or unknown? Either.

What genre? I prefer Fantasy, but I read Sci - Fi, Western, War Etc.  Mostly Fantasy/Sci - Fi though

What's your favorite authors? Asimov, George R.R. Martin, Terry Pratchett.  Becoming a fan of Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie

Fav books of all time? Depends really on what I've read latest.  I have one physical book that is kind of important to me.  It's a torn up old paperback of The Silmarillion (sp?).  Now that book isn't great or anything, but....

Well, a year after my Grandmother died, I was going through some free books the library was giving away.  I ran across this book, and inside the front cover was a "belings to Mamie Gilkison" note.

That's my Grandmother.

Zombie Gunn

Wow, that's pretty cool.  I read the first half of Silmarillion and didn't care too much for it.  I like your story on how you found it much more.

Exile

What's your preference? Nonfiction, humor, crime

Series books or standalone? First couple Alex Cross Books were good, and read all the Archie McNally books sides that mostly standalone

Long (400+pages) or short? i guess shorter most are just shy of 400

Popular writers or unknown? Both. A lot of nonfiction polisci or social criticism books are unknowns. Most humorous fiction as well, generally like old simpsons or SNL writers or guys you wouldnt know by name. My crime books are little more known

What genre? Kinda goes with the preference

What's your favorite authors? Love Eric Michael Dyson, Fareed Zakaria. Used to read a lot of James Ellroy, Lawerence Sanders, James Patterson, Raymond Chandler not so much now...and sanders is dead.

Fav books of all time? Divine Comedy, completely changed the way that I thought, processed information, everything. Life altering book in middle school for me.

Duckman

Series books or standalone:  I would have answered this stand alone but since I've started reading the graphic novel series 100 Bullets I'm quite happy to read a series now.

Long (400+pages) or short:  It's got to be a long book, unless it's a classic like The 39 Steps or Heart of Darkness.

Popular writers or unknown:  Popular usually

What genre:  I would say probably crime fiction, although I do like reading autobiographies by comedians.

What's your favorite authors:  Shouldn't that be 'who?'  Lol.  Anyway mine are, Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiassen, Michael Connelly, Robert Wilson, Jo Nesbo, James Elroy and Joseph Wambaugh

Fav books of all time:  Tough one.  Probably Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard or Double Whammy by Carl Hiassen.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Goldferg

Series books or standalone? - Each has their own merits. I'd probably go for series over stand alone if you held a gun to my head and demanded i choose.

Long (400+pages) or short? - most of the stuff I read tends to clock in at the 300-350 odd page mark.

Popular writers or unknown? - I'm more likely to read something by someone whose work I'm already familliar with, or from a series i know, so... popular

What genre? - Fantasy

What's your favorite authors? - David Gemmel, Terry Pratchett, Timothy Zahn, Mike Carey

Fav books of all time? - I don't think i could pick just one.
Quote from: The Bong Guy Stoner Hall on February 06, 2010, 01:11:21 PM
I hammered The Pink Ranger...  I never thought I would be so sad to say that.....
Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on May 12, 2015, 11:15:06 AM
Becoming a super beast with a tendency for high octane flying shits...its a lifestyle choice.

Josh

What's your preference? Anything that can keep my attention.

Series books or standalone? I enjoy both for different reasons.

Long (400+pages) or short? Length is irrevelant.

Popular writers or unknown? I tend to read the works of unknown authors over popular.

What genre? Any.

Who's your favorite authors? Haven't got a fav.

Favourite books of all time? "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. "1984" by George Orwell.  "Black, Red & White: The Circle Trilogy" by Ted Dekker.

Drama Queen

What's your preference?

Series books or standalone? I guess I would lean towards series even though most of the classics are stand alone. There's just something very appealing about getting started on a series though and finding out you enjoy it so you have good reading for a long time to come. (It must be noted I am usually late to the party, for example I did not start the Harry Potter series until all the books were released, so I have never really experienced the anticipation/frustration of waiting for the next book, with the exception of Tamora Pierce's "Beka Cooper" series.

Long (400+pages) or short? There are many short wonderful books such as Of Mice and Men or Animal Farm but overall I guess I like getting stuck into a long one for the same reasons as above.

Popular writers or unknown? Most of the writers I have chanced upon would be popular. I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy a good John Grisham novel.

What genre? I find ironically enough that the most detailed and accurate reflections of society come from sci-fi. Particularly alternate future scenarios such as 1984, Brave New World, Stranger in a Strange Land and Uglies. I also like kids and young adults books a lot though.

What's your favorite authors? So many to chose from. So many genres. Got to mention Steinbeck though, he was overall the most versatile.

Fav books of all time? The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld.

Gates

What's your preference?
Fiction. Could be fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, horror, but as long as it's fiction, I'll probably give it a read.

Series books or standalone?
Either. I'm not usually one for series unless it really hooks me (mainly because I don't always read as much as I should/want) so I sometimes fade out halfway through a series.

Long (400+pages) or short?
Either. I love a good collection of short stories (and write short stories), but also don't mind a longer novel (400+).

Popular writers or unknown?
A mix of both. Lately it's been popular writers, but when I worked at the book store, I'd find a few authors that no one had really heard of and I'd give them a try.

What's your favorite authors?
Lately? Jasper Fforde, Nick Hornby, Don DeLillo, Bret Easton Ellis, John Manning, Irvine Welsh, Dennis Lehane, Chuck Hogan, William Gibson, Cormac McCarthy, Iain Banks, Chuck Palahniuk, to name a few...

Fav books of all time?
"Shades of Grey" - Jasper Fforde
"All The Pretty Dead Girls" - John Manning
"Random" - Craig Robertson
"Shutter Island" - Dennis Lehane
"White Noise" - Don DeLillo
"Choke" - Chuck Palahniuk
"Twisted" - Jeffrey Deaver
"A Long Way Down" - Nick Hornby
To name a few...