News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Zombie Gunn, July 29, 2009, 11:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Gunn

What's your thing?  Find a new series you like or are just trying out?  Post it here.

Currently, I'm reading:

- The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead
- The Stand: American Nightmares
- House of Mystery

About to start reading:

- The Man With No Name

Markus Stone

I had an enormous pull list until about a two weeks ago.

Marvel:
ASM, all the X-books, all the Dark Reign tie-ins, all 3 Deadpool books although 1 was a mini, Incredible Hercules, War of Kings and tie-ins, Ultimatum, and that's all I recall right off the top of my head.

DC:
All the Batman books, Teen Titans, Justice League, JSA, Superman books, Green Lanter and GLCorps, Vigilante, the remainder of the Final Crisis books including Run and Dance, Adventure Comics was about to get picked up before I had to temporarily cancel. Once again that's all I can immediately recall.

Other:
The Boys, I've been trying to hunt down Kick Ass but haven't been able to find it lately, Invincible, The Sword, Killapolooza, and then whatever else catches my eye.

All in all I was spending about 170 a paycheck on comics, so it was a pretty comprehensive list. At the moment the only things I still make sure to pick up are War of Kings, Darkhawk, Nova, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Zombie Gunn

Just started reading The Walking Dead. Don't ask me WHY I waited so long, but I guess I waited because I knew it would be this good, if that makes sense.

And yeah, I'm hooked.

Also enjoying The Man With No Name.  Just recently found GI Joe 1-155 and debating whether to read them before selling.

Zombie Gunn

Just found out they're doing Spider-Man 1602 in October (5-part series) and I'll be all over that.  I loved the original 1602 series and thought Spiderman (Peter Parquagh) was heavily underused.

Black Death

Quote from: Jesse Gunn on August 16, 2009, 12:52:40 AM
Just found out they're doing Spider-Man 1602 in October (5-part series) and I'll be all over that.  I loved the original 1602 series and thought Spiderman (Peter Parquagh) was heavily underused.

SWEET!
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Stoner

Quote from: Jesse Gunn on August 16, 2009, 12:52:40 AM

I just lol'd at the thought of Deadpool 1602.  The 1602 series was made of greatness though.  Daredevil was awesome and the way they did t he Captain America made me wet myself with fanboyism.  Not to mention t he billions of times Pete was almost bit by a spider.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Hondo

I'm ready Uncle Johns Bathroom Reader, Volume Three.

I won't say where I'm reading it...

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Stoner

I just read Deadpool 13 and 14.  Deadpool "On a Boat" so to speak.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Jonny Worldbeater

Don't know if I mentioned this comic before but I just picked up the latest volume of a comic called 'Empowered' by one of my favorite writers/artists, Adam Warren.

It's a manga art styled comic about a would-be superheroine who is frequently caught in a lot of humiliating Damsel in Distress situations and her insecurities about herself and being a laughingstock within the superhero community, and how she manages to overcome that image with the support of her Ninja Chick best friend and her former-villainous henchmen boyfriend and an omnipotent demon beast from beyond the stars trapped in a belt on her coffee table.

If that hasn't piqued your interest, you should also know it's an extremely well-written, structured and developed story. When it's funny, it's hilarious. When it's sweet, it's heartwarming. When it's sad, it's tragic. When it's scary, it's nightmarishly horrifying and when it's at it's best its a brilliant piece of work.

And then, on top of that, I've just recently read the final chapter in Garth Ennis' 'Preacher' saga, which kinda sucks because I didn't get to read all the lead-up to the end an I'm working my way backwards basically with little knowledge of what came before, but suffice it to say: Epic. Absolutely tremendous storytelling, and here, one of the things I like most about this story is that I could actually jump in at the end of it with little prior knowledge of the story and get a hell of a connection and understanding with the characters and their motivations within the story and what made it such an epic saga.

Also, here's a few choice lines from both of the recent volumes I've read:

Empowered - "Really, Mr. Lucas? You're unraping my childhood?"

Preacher - "Well, dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians."

If you like smart, challenging adult-oriented comics, I strongly recommend checking these out. Like, now-ish.

Black Death

Adam Warren is great artist , love his gen13 bootleg run issues 7-9  great stuff
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Jennifer

Most recently read World War Z, which I found was a very interesting take on the zombie genre, both from the perspective of the way the plot itself ran and the way it was told (through multiple interviews with those with experiences of the zombie apocalypse).

There's also a comic I read recently called 'Dead Eyes Open' which also features people coming back from the dead, but well, it's not your traditional zombie story, again. I don't really want to spoil it, but it was a very good read, so I'd recommend it to anyone interested in this kind of thing.

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Zombie Gunn

Jennifer

lol, WWZ and Dead Eyes Open are unrelated. I might have phrased that badly.

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Zombie Gunn

Ah man, don't get my hopes up like that.

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Jesse Gunn on July 29, 2009, 11:16:28 AM

- The Man With No Name

JESSE!!!

Theres a Man with No Name book!!!! :O

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs