News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Transgendered MMA Fighters

Started by Ty, March 06, 2013, 01:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty

http://www.outsports.com/2013/3/5/4068840/fallon-fox-trans-pro-mma-fighter

Its not very often that I come across stories that leave me baffled. By baffled, I mean, I am unable to form an opinion on the subject due to its unique nature. This is one of those stories. Its about an MMA fighter who underwent gender reassignment surgery 6 years prior to turn her into a female. Now, she's a developing MMA fighter. Ignoring the story itself (her victories haven't been 'dominant', thats just bad journalism. Also being exposed for the story was a dick-move), I dont know how to feel about this. Legally she's a female, everything seems to add up well. Same time, she does have the thicker bone density of a male and was exposed to male hormones her whole life. On the other hand, should that really matter.

Honestly, Im not sure at all how to process this story.

The legality, to me, seems pretty cut-and-dry, she's female and so long as her levels balance out, she should be able to fight. Not sure what to make of everything else.

Cory

Cyborgs been doing it, so what the hell lol

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

T-Bonizzle

Sucks that some careless moron outted her before she wanted to be, but whatever. I have no problem with her fighting.

Black Death

Quote from: Cory on March 06, 2013, 02:22:25 PM

lol

don't really care , where all equal when we get punch in the face
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

GM Franchise

Quote from: Cory on March 06, 2013, 02:22:25 PM

Chyna was the original though.  :P
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Jon

I'm not very educated on what a gender switch actually does and how it changes your body.

I could see where some of her opponents might feel that her gender change puts her at an advantage, but then again, I don't know enough to know if it actual does or not.

The only way I can look at it is if say Lebron James changes gender and plays in the WNBA. Would that be fair? I'd think not, but then again, what does a gender change do to your athletic ability?

I guess I'm pretty indifferent about it since I don't know much about what a gender change does to your body.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Cory

Quote from: Jon on March 06, 2013, 09:54:12 PM

The only way I can look at it is if say Lebron James changes gender and plays in the WNBA. Would that be fair? I'd think not, but then again, what does a gender change do to your athletic ability?

Have you EVER watched womens sports? If your Lebron and go to WNBA, he'll put up 80 a night, unless your point what what change happens DUE to the surgury.

I think maybe higher levels of testosterone, weight cutting will be a huger advantage as some women have serious problems with cutting weight (I believe Cyborg was most famous)...if everything IN THERE is still working like a male body could be some advantages. Also, muscle growth could be another, but much like Jon not too educated on the subject, seems like Jenn I believe could answer this best.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Jennifer

Natural biological growth is one thing. It's a basic fact that someone born biologically male in the body is more likely to have a stronger frame.

However, a lot of the advantages, with regards to training, muscle building, and so on... are only factors when an athlete isn't on hormone replacement therapy. The thing is, once you are on HRT for around a year, two years, your hormone levels are pretty much exactly in line with the gender that's being transitioned to - that's why taking hormones will allow a transitioning woman to develop breasts, have fat deposited in different, more 'female' areas, and so on - and a transitioning man to develop facial and body hair, their voices to break, and so on.

Basically the point is that after a couple years at most, there ceases to be much difference beyond the obvious - such as someone being naturally taller. Taking an example, I am 6ft tall. I'm also very slightly built and quite skinny - that's biology. On hormones I'd pretty much be just a tall girl. Yeah Fallon would still be taking hormones, but that's for regulation. Her body won't be producing a heck of a lot more testosterone than somebody who was born biologically female - especially with all the operations done.

So yeah, imo... it shouldn't be such a big deal.

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Ty

I think comparing basketball to MMA is comparing apples to oranges. Both are fruit (sports) but one sport is based around scoring baskets and the like while the other is about inflicting damage until the opponent is unable to defend themselves. Id have no issue with post-op females playing WNBA (so long as there aren't any physical advantages but then again, you'd have to test everyone else too to make sure none of the other players aint juicing. Though, since I dont have access to WNBA, im not sure if thats even a realistic concern)

I think part of the issue being brought up by various sources is that for 25 years, Ms/ Fox developed like a male. Its kinda getting frustrating to research this because once something blows up on the internet, all the good documents get forced too far back and the blatant bullcrap gets brought to the front. If I have to read another 10 page 'BuT ze DNA!!! is MALE', Im going to shit myself.

My gym has taken a stance on the topic though. Everyday, we have a 'meeting' at the gym. Its really just fitness but my coach found that calling it a meeting gets more people to show up, nobody ever wants to miss information lol. The consensus is that as a team, we will not discriminate against any transgendered fighters in any way. We will train them, book them, manage them, spar with them, anything regardless of anything (except attitude but thats the same for everyone). But, we've also decided as a team that we won't allow our female fighters to compete against any individual born a man in MMA, Kick-boxing, boxing, juijitsu or any contact sport unless it a) a professional fight, b) regulated by a major American fight state, and c) takes place under a major organization (Bellator, Invicta, UFC, Kotc, etc). It is less the advantage and more to do with safety. Like, our coach won't put us against steriod users, by policy unless I was fighting for a big org and there was mandated drug testing, my coach by rule would accept a fight on my behalf against a person who had previously failed or who is suspected of PEDs. Also, my coach will not accept a fight on my behalf against a person or promoted by a person who has been involved in fight fixing, illegal gambling on fights, or any other illegal or 'shady' dealings or has been strongly suspected as such. MMA is such a dark place in some parts that my gym refuses to expose ourselves to any potential dark dealings or freak shows (despite the fact all of our figthers have gimmicks, thats just us having fun). The gym's stance is that you just never know, let the regulators deal with that crap and as for us, we'll stick to non-controversial fights.

I feel that as long as she's regulated, it shouldn't be an issue but I still would feel uncomfortable letting one of the female fighters in my gym step in the ring with her. I'd need to do a lot of research, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with it. The amount of time the body has had to develop as a male, developing power and muscle mass, I understand it goes away but I just wouldnt feel secure with letting one of my friends fight her (even though she's not that great of a fighter, her opponents were both cans and her first opponent handled her for a whole round. Beating two winless opponents, meh).

Jennifer

Nobody should ever ever ever ever ever be forced to out themselves. That's bullshit.

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Check out the documentary on Renee Richards and then we will see there really isnt an issue.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Nick

Rogan spoke on the issue recently, and I agree with a lot of his viewpoints, even though he did come across slightly douchey.

1. Even if the dick and balls are cut off, the former male still has the bone structure and musculature of a man. Wider shoulders, bigger wrists, bigger hands, bigger head. This enables the former male to stand more of a chance of doing damage and taking it, compared to a female fighter. Fallon's last two wins are by brutal KO.

2. I believe she should absolutely have to disclose her transgendering. This isn't a choreographed soap opera(no offense pro wrestling), this is a combat sport where people get concussions and bones broken on a regular basis. Being a former male should be the first thing disclosed with any match she's booked. Her opponents deserve to know.

3. A little far fetched, but his could open the door for some, twisted women beaters to cut their dicks off in a chance to be the next 'female' MMA star. Beating women and getting paid for it? Sounds like a douchebag's dream. Bangkok, home of trannies and Muay Thai kickboxing. Nuff' said :)

Fallon will never get a job in UFC, InvictaFC, or any reputable organization with a women's division, so it's kind of a dead horse. The former male will kick cans till' their career ends.