News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

NXT Spoilers/Updates/News

Started by Fnord, November 11, 2013, 02:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bonizzle

Yeah and we would comment about it in chat how NXT was towards the bottom of the list. This was when they were showing the graphic on RAW after WM last year hyping up the network.

Fnord

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that the idea behind NXT has changed a lot lately as Triple H loves all the praise he gets for NXT on social media. WWE originally was looking to train new talents from the bottom to the main roster but it appears they are recruiting top talents for the NXT brand itself. The idea is to replace some of the top indie stars who can already work good matches with more indie stars.

Regarding call-ups, there's no word on NXT Champion Kevin Owens or Sami Zayn getting brought to the main roster but there has been a lot of talk about NXT Women's Champion Sasha Banks, Adrian Neville and possibly Charlotte getting called up. With how WWE likes to introduce new talents after WrestleMania, it's possible we see new main roster talents in April.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Fnord

Source: WWE

WWE has announced that NXT Champion Kevin Owens underwent a partial meniscectomy for a knee injury late last week. He commented:

"I'm not the kind of person that lets things like this get in my way. I'm already walking around without crutches and doing physical therapy at the WWE Performance Center.

"Now that I'm at the level I am now, and with as much at stake as there is, I don't think it's going to slow me down. I'm on the way back.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 

Fnord

Source: F4WOnline

- As noted, WWE NXT Champion Kevin Owens underwent a partial meniscectomy for a knee injury late last week. Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer Radio notes that Owens will likely be out of the ring for 4-6 weeks, which means he probably won't be wrestling at the big NXT live event during WrestleMania 31 weekend.

Fnord

- We've noted earlier via PWInsider how The Briscoes were not expected to go to WWE as they're locked-in with Ring of Honor until at least mid-summer and then they're expected to stay with ROH. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports this week that there is still belief within WWE that the brothers will be in NXT by mid-summer.

Cory

Quote from: Fnord on March 18, 2015, 07:10:36 PM
- We've noted earlier via PWInsider how The Briscoes were not expected to go to WWE as they're locked-in with Ring of Honor until at least mid-summer and then they're expected to stay with ROH. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports this week that there is still belief within WWE that the brothers will be in NXT by mid-summer.

One of the best tag teams ive ever seen and a dumbed down version of their gimmick would be sick....but I thought they couldn't pass the initial physical?

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Fnord

- Regarding WWE NXT Champion Kevin Owens undergoing knee surgery last week to repair a torn meniscus, you're usually out of action for 6-7 weeks after that operation but WWE officials are expecting Owens back in the ring in 4-6 weeks, as noted. Owens has had bad knees for years so this could have been just an operation to clean the knee out without having major surgery that would put him out of the ring for at least 6 months.

jagilki

Quote from: Cory on March 18, 2015, 07:46:13 PM
One of the best tag teams ive ever seen and a dumbed down version of their gimmick would be sick....but I thought they couldn't pass the initial physical?

The way I'm reading it all, if they are brought in it won't be to be in "development" but just to fill out the touring NXT roster.  I'm sure the people signed in that way will be given slightly more leeway as they will prolly never make it out of NXT.

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: jagilki on March 18, 2015, 11:22:29 PM
The way I'm reading it all, if they are brought in it won't be to be in "development" but just to fill out the touring NXT roster.  I'm sure the people signed in that way will be given slightly more leeway as they will prolly never make it out of NXT.

This.

They're not exactly guys you want to represent a publicly traded company that partners with LGBT groups, promotes anti-bullying, and other things. Hence why they've not been in WWE yet. Now, guys you want working with young tag teams or teams you'd like to see work together, they're great for that role. They're too young to lock down to just be trainers, but too old to put time into to develop in the WWE style and get a lot of out of them.

I feel like there should be that medium between talent and trainer, whatever you would call it, road trainers, travel trainers, would help them as they go out on the road and get in front of different crowds, let them work different in front of NXT's home crowd, because clearly that indy-feel crowd doesn't represent the demographic of RAW and Smackdown like they'd hope (See Adam Rose, Ascension, Woods). You can make the case that the three of them were treated badly but Rose and Ascension were given vignettes and still feel flat on their RAW debuts. Its the reverse of TNA's problem back in 2011-2012.

BamBamBunglow

So, Jimmy Jacobs is coming in as creative and there's an expected influx of ROH/Indy talent. Yup, that's solidified my mind on it, as well as HHH's comments about "NXT isn't a development brand, it's a brand". Calling it now;

The indy guys on NXT (With POSSIBLY the exception of Generico - I could see him scoring big in the main roster. I'd love to see Balor on the main roster but I doubt it'll happen) currently will be staying there, probably permanently. They'll top it up with Briscoes, Joe (Who may escape, not sure), I reckon Adam Cole will jump ship at some point in the future... outside chance of maybe Michael Elgin. And that's just from ROH.

NXT will stay an internet only brand, switch it up to 2 hours or two 1 hour shows per week on the Network. They will tour and basically be the WWE's wrestling brand - they're making their own alternative and will make money off it. It's the sort of power move only a huge company like WWE could make - "Why bother watching NJPW, GFW, DGUSA, ROH, PWG, etc? We've got all the stars you smarks love in ONE PLACE!"

This way, any "Main roster" stars they bring in will have a world of experience to draw from and learn from.

Vince gets the heat for putting on sub-par TV. HHH takes the praise for making an immense "Indyriffic show". This will continue until Vince kicks the bucket.

Duckman

The touring idea is a must.  The non-Indy guys will never learn and improve if they're only working in front of the same crowd every week at Full Sail.  Getting them on the road, working in front of tougher crowds, and learning how to adapt is an incredibly smart move.

I wrote about the set up on MFX this week - WWE have basically created their own competition with NXT, but still have it open for guys to move up onto the main roster as and when required.  It's a great idea, as long as the guys on NXT are getting more than a few hundred bucks a week.  I'd happily keep most of the top guys in NXT forever, as long as they're earning decent money.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

BamBamBunglow

Quote from: Duckman on March 19, 2015, 09:51:23 AM
I'd happily keep most of the top guys in NXT forever, as long as they're earning decent money.

Or until Trips takes over and fires the current creative ;) Jimmy Jacobs for head of creative! :D what... I can dream ;)

You're basically spot on though mate, they've made their own competition and if they can expand the roster by 10-15 REALLY good workers and add an extra hour (preferably 2 shows, not one 2 hour show) to keep the match length decent, I would be welllll happy.

Cory

Anyone notice the brilliance of after the main on this weeks show when Balor was chasing Owens, while making his way around the ring on the outside Owens laid another shot into Alex Riley?

I donno....little things like that do it for me.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

BamBamBunglow

Quote from: Cory on March 19, 2015, 10:19:53 AM
Anyone notice the brilliance of after the main on this weeks show when Balor was chasing Owens, while making his way around the ring on the outside Owens laid another shot into Alex Riley?

I donno....little things like that do it for me.

This. The little things make the absolute world of difference to a character. Dean Ambrose is especially good at this kinda thing.

One of the things that Balor did that made me mark out at the last NXT Special was, during his entrance, he leapt towards the camera and thrust his throat at it - with the makeup it just looked like some kinda snapping hellhound and was VERY cool.

My all time favourite is Samoa Joe, when someone jumps off the ropes at him (usually for a cross body block or something akin) and he just casually walks out of the warm and gives the audience a smirk of "What a fucking noob". Makes me giggle every time.

Fnord

It's worth noting that Sami Zayn was advertised for both of this month WWE NXT live events in Ohio but ended up just cutting in-ring promos and did not wrestle. Sami's last two matches came on February 18th at the NXT TV tapings against Rhyno and on February 20th at a NXT live event with a win over Tyler Breeze. According to a live event report from that night, there was no indication that Zayn suffered an injury. Sami wrote the following on Facebook about this month's shows in Ohio:

"Thanks to everyone who came out and supported NXT in Ohio this past weekend. I meant every word I said. This is a group that is taking control of our own destiny and taking over the industry in the process. Revolution is in the air and thanks for being a part of it."

Furthermore, The Wrestling Observer Newsletter mentioned this week that the former NXT Champion is indeed out of action and hurt. WWE did a storyline injury angle with Zayn after his title match loss to Kevin Owens at Takeover but there's been no reports on Zayn suffering a legitimate injury until now.