NFL Debate #10: 2013 Draft, 1st overall pick

Started by Cory, November 08, 2012, 11:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Cory

I took Te'o for many reasons, but my top 3 were all defensive. Jarvis Jones is a phenominal athlete and will in the beginning put up better numbers than Te'o (Sacks/Fumbles/INT) but Te'o is a superior tackler and a leader. Hes the closest thing to Ray Lewis in a long time. Only guy else that comes close to Lotulelei who is as close a prospect to Haloti Ngata as you can get, my only problem with him is hes not as experienced and didn't play the elite teams, so theres questions.

So I take the safe pick in Te'o. He will be a pro bowler in 2-3 seasons and is a better long term guy than Jarvis Jones me thinks.

I dont have much faith in Geno or Barkley as compared to the Luck/RG3/Newtons as of late so if I needed a QB I'd look later on to a Landry Jones in the 3rd or so.

GM Franchise

I went with T'eo because he is the best overall player on this list.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Justin

I'd go with Mingo, but he would really have to shine in the combine and team workouts.  The guy is an absolute beast and is damn near unblockable.  The only knock on him is he tends to be a little bit insconsistent at times.

T-Bonizzle

I'm picking Barkley for one simple fact. A QB will be the 1st overall pick. Why? Because this league is all about the QB position. The success of the rookie QBs in the last two seasons is only gonna further move up all QBs in the draft. Many experts believed Tanahill was drafted way too high, but he was drafted high because he was the best QB on the board when the Dolphins pick. Whoever gets that #1 pick is more than likely a team who needs a QB and will take whoever the best QB is, and I think Barkley is that guy right now.

Justin

Barkley has proven he isn't worth the #1 pick.

Hondo

Nornally I'd be right there with Boner and take a QB #1. One problem is, I don't see a franchise QB on that list. I don't want to pass on an uber-talent like Te'o to take a B-level QB. too many teams have made this decision over the years and it's cost them. (eg. Texans and David Carr) Not this time.

Teams always panic over their QB situation and draft QBs much higher than they need to. I call it the JP Losman Effect. If a QB has anything close to a good workout or combine, his draft stock rises by at least two rounds. We all know Losman sucked HARD, but since he impressed one or two teams with a decent workout, he went from a third or fourth rounder to a first rounder.

I'm taking the best overall talent in Te'o. I'll take my chances in FA or later in the draft for a QB. Chances are, since I'm a expansion team anyway, I'll be picking high again next year, I'll take a franchise QB then.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Doug E Fresh

If the Chiefs get the first pick, they're taking a QB and probably Barkley whether he's worth it or not. If its a team who doesn't need a QB, then I'd go Te'o

T-Bonizzle

I misunderstood the question. I thought this was a discussion on who we'd predict would go #1.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I think it depends on the team with the number one pick...

Based on what I see from the standings it would be at the moment between the Chiefs and Jaguars and I dont see either team taking a QB. I think there is about three half brackets of QB right now in the NFL. The elite the likes of Mannings, Brady, Rogers etc. the will do well for his team guys and the guys who need weapons.

Both the Chiefs and Jags need wepaons for the QBs. I know a lot of people are saying Blaine Garrett isnt a NFL QB, personally...I think we need to remember how young he is and what he has around him. As for Cassell/Quinn...again you look at Alex Smith and see the 49ers have a decent team around him and the sort of players which help him win ball games.

Now I am not saying that Alex Smith is going to lead SF to a Superbowl and then the question comes into play do you need a superstar QB and the answer is yes. Is there a superstar QB in this draft? No there isnt for me at the moment anyways. There are a lot of good QBs, but there is no Luck or Griffin.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Cory

Quote from: JackHondo on November 09, 2012, 10:09:46 AM
Nornally I'd be right there with Boner and take a QB #1. One problem is, I don't see a franchise QB on that list. I don't want to pass on an uber-talent like Te'o to take a B-level QB. too many teams have made this decision over the years and it's cost them. (eg. Texans and David Carr) Not this time.

Teams always panic over their QB situation and draft QBs much higher than they need to. I call it the JP Losman Effect. If a QB has anything close to a good workout or combine, his draft stock rises by at least two rounds. We all know Losman sucked HARD, but since he impressed one or two teams with a decent workout, he went from a third or fourth rounder to a first rounder.

I'm taking the best overall talent in Te'o. I'll take my chances in FA or later in the draft for a QB. Chances are, since I'm a expansion team anyway, I'll be picking high again next year, I'll take a franchise QB then.

THIS

Doug E Fresh

Quote from: Trumpers on November 09, 2012, 12:58:18 PMAs for Cassell/Quinn...again you look at Alex Smith and see the 49ers have a decent team around him and the sort of players which help him win ball games.

I think Alex Smith was just good enough to keep his job over the years until the team finally got weapons around him. The thing with KC that just bothers me is that they have weapons. Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, and guys who have proven to be a good commodity like Steve Breaston and Tony Moeaki. Jon Baldwin isn't developing the way they'd hoped. But Cassel with this around him isn't the answer. And trust me though we didn't see much of him in Cleveland, Brady Quinn isn't the answer and its for the same reason we benched McCoy...he has no arm.

I fully agree that this isn't a good year for QBs but KC has to bite on one if they're the number one pick because their two guys add up to Brandon Weeden minus all the INTs.

Cory

Yeah, makes sence for the Cheifs to take Barkley/Geno because they can risk it. QB is their only real weak spot, maybe DB too. They got (when healthy) Charles/Hillis at RB, Bowe/Moeaki/Breston at WR, a really solid, experiences o-line, great D-line, solid LB, and Eric Berry in the far secondary.

They didnt replace Brandon Carr, as their replacement Standford Routt from Oakland was waived last week, so they have poor DB's and their QB sucks. Looking at the draft, might as well risk it on a QB, at least with the new rookie contracts they wont play 50million for a dud anymore.

Doug E Fresh

Quote from: Cory on November 09, 2012, 01:36:17 PM
at least with the new rookie contracts they wont play 50million for a dud anymore.

THIS is why I hope more teams will take a guy like Te'o. But coupled with the success of rookie QBs, more teams will want to take a shot at getting the 'next' guy. The Jags won't take a QB as they're secretly still going to try and snag themselves a Tebow.

Note: That last sentence was purely my opinion only.