NFL Debate #51: Expanded Playoffs

Started by Cory, June 06, 2014, 12:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

GM Franchise

Yes. It'll create more excitement, chaos, and revenue which is good for the fans and their bottom line.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Justin

Takes away from thebcompetition of the regular season.

Black Republicans

I really have no idea where I stand on this.

On one hand everything GM said is on point, and the same thing with what Justin P says.  I like things how they are I guess, because then you can have whole divisions going, and that seems weird.  That's also a whole nother week of action which doesn't help injuries.  Then you think about the possibility of going to 18 games(which I hate) and it's a debacle of the last 50 years of the NFL.

But who doesn't want to see more teams pull off the upset in the playoff and win a championship?

Mike Powers

For a sport that ain't broke, they're trying like hell to "fix" it.

Jon

I don't see a problem with the expansion of the playoffs.

I just want to see more football and if that means my teams has a better shot at getting to the playoffs, then how could I say no?

I don't think it takes from the competitiveness of the regular season either... still going to have to fight to get in. Expanding it by two teams isn't going to change that at all.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Black Republicans

There will be sub 500 teams possibly, which I think is ridiculousness.

But if you're a team that travels well, you can start resting players because you know you'll be a top 8.

Say Denver comes out the gate and wins 10 straight and beat the Pats...why would the Pats play Brady the last 2-4 weeks if they're guaranteed to get in?  Obviously that's a lot of time, but I can see players being rested alot earlier.  And some coach is gonna push the envelope win early and start sitting guys.

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: Black Republicans on June 07, 2014, 08:34:01 PM
There will be sub 500 teams possibly, which I think is ridiculousness.

But if you're a team that travels well, you can start resting players because you know you'll be a top 8.

Say Denver comes out the gate and wins 10 straight and beat the Pats...why would the Pats play Brady the last 2-4 weeks if they're guaranteed to get in?  Obviously that's a lot of time, but I can see players being rested alot earlier.  And some coach is gonna push the envelope win early and start sitting guys.

They're expanding the playoffs to only one team per conference, making it 7 teams and only the top seed getting a bye. so 2 v 7 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 are the match ups.

With that set up, the liklihood of a sub .500 team making it is low. The last five years, at least one team has won at least 9 games and been outside the playoffs. With that set up the #2 isn't going to coast, nor is the #1 as there is only one team that gets a bye, making the top of the playoffs standings just as exciting as the bottom.

Also, poor example, Bellicheck doesn't rest guys, Wes Welker knows that all too well.

CHINasty

Playoff expansion is retarded. Now we're going to have 8-8 or possibly 7-9 teams making the playoffs consistently.

Jon

Quote from: CHINasty on June 08, 2014, 01:53:12 PM
Playoff expansion is retarded. Now we're going to have 8-8 or possibly 7-9 teams making the playoffs consistently.

I'd rather that than 10-6 and 9-7 missing the playoffs consistently.

Black Republicans

Quote from: Jon on June 08, 2014, 02:09:23 PM
I'd rather that than 10-6 and 9-7 missing the playoffs consistently.

Why? 

If good teams miss the playoffs, well, get better.  But bum teams getting in doesn't seem to fix anything

The TeeJ of Philly

Sometimes a teams record doesn't  tell how pod they are. Last year the  packers were 8-7-1 and that wasn't because they were bum, but because Rodgers missed much I the season. The steelers were one of the hottest teams ate the end of the year.

Like I said it's one extra team per conference and the last five years at least one 9-7 team had missed the playoffs.

Plus we've had 8-8 and 7-9 teams make the playoffs under this current system.

Cory

Quote from: The Soul of Philly on June 08, 2014, 04:33:08 PM
Sometimes a teams record doesn't  tell how pod they are. Last year the  packers were 8-7-1 and that wasn't because they were bum, but because Rodgers missed much I the season. The steelers were one of the hottest teams ate the end of the year.

Like I said it's one extra team per conference and the last five years at least one 9-7 team had missed the playoffs.

Plus we've had 8-8 and 7-9 teams make the playoffs under this current system.

This.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Jon

Quote from: Black Republicans on June 08, 2014, 03:30:20 PM
Why? 

If good teams miss the playoffs, well, get better.  But bum teams getting in doesn't seem to fix anything

It's not to fix anything. Nobody is saying the current format is flawed. But fans want to see a better chance for their team to reach the playoffs. Teams want it because it's an additional chance at revenue. I don't see what the big deal is? If it's seriously because a team with a .500 record or worse MIGHT make the playoffs... I don't think that's the end of the world. The NFL is a business and if it thinks it can generate more money by expanding the playoffs by a team or two, then I'm not gonna complain.

T-Bonizzle

The player's have been against extending the season though, which expanded playoffs would require. They have a long enough schedule as it is, the format is fine the way it is.