News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

If Every Crime Were Legal For Just One Day.

Started by Jon Tees, October 11, 2013, 09:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Tees

Based on what you know about human nature if it were legal to commit crimes for one day out of the year (sort of like The Purge) do you feel most people would partake in normally  illegal activities or would the bulk of them continue to be law abiding even if there were no laws to abide by? Obviously people who bend and break laws/rules anyway even when they are enforced would just continue doing what they normally do only they wouldn't be punished for it on this particular day, but this more or less pertains to people who are well behaved likely out of fear of consequences if they aren't.

There are really basically three kinds of people
1.   People who always or mostly abide by rules and laws even when authority is absent.
2.    People who abide by rules and laws only in the presence of authority and when authority is absent they act up/out and do things they normally wouldn't if authority were present.
3.   People who have little or no regard for authority and act up/out regardless of whether authority is present or not.

The second and third groups are the ones you'd have the most to fear from in this hypothetical event.

Don't Fall For Cheap Imitations And Knock Offs We Are The National Wrestling Federation Period.
http://www.thenationalwrestlingfederation.com

jagilki

Morality =/= Legality.

If murder was no longer illegal, it wouldn't make it right.

Morality is something that is down to each and every individual.  Some laws are way less than others in terms of morality.  Is it moral to go 4 miles over the speed limit?  Or is there being a law saying you can only drive a certain speed what determines that?

I can't, nor won't speak for everybody, but a large portion of laws, I don't follow due to authority.  I don't steal, rob, murder, or commit violence against people, not because the Law says "no", but because I view it as wrong.

However, I may drive 4/5 miles over the speed limit, because to me I can morally accept that.  But, if I got a speeding ticket, I'd still blame myself.

I understand, there may be people out there that the only thing keeping them from killing random people is the law, but I doubt there are that many of them.

T-Bonizzle

Wasn't there a movie that just came out that answers this question already?

GM Franchise

Quote from: T-Hallowed on October 11, 2013, 11:08:46 PM
Wasn't there a movie that just came out that answers this question already?

Machete Kills?
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Mike Powers

jagilki

¿PapaPancho?

I'd rape all of you ... with LOVE!

and my penis.

jagilki

Alex Smiley

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Duckman

As Louis CK puts it - the only thing stopping people committing murder is that murder is illegal.

He says it's nothing to do with morality, but just because getting caught for murder really sucks.

He reckons if murder was legal, or even just a misdermenour, everyone would do it.  You'd get a letter in the mail, like you do for speeding,

"Ah shit they had a camera there.  Guess I need to pay the fine."

Everyone would murder someone.  Parents would always be murdering their children.  Shopping malls would be full of stressed out parents strangling their kids and then having to leave them in the trash bags that are every 30 feet in America now that murder is legal.

You wouldn't trust someone who hadn't murdered anyone. 

"What not even a hooker?  Jeeze, live a little you weirdo."

One of my favourite Louis CK riffs of all time!

Cheers,
Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: Duckman on October 14, 2013, 05:21:17 AM
As Louis CK puts it - the only thing stopping people committing murder is that murder is illegal.

He says it's nothing to do with morality, but just because getting caught for murder really sucks.

He reckons if murder was legal, or even just a misdermenour, everyone would do it.  You'd get a letter in the mail, like you do for speeding,

"Ah shit they had a camera there.  Guess I need to pay the fine."

Everyone would murder someone.  Parents would always be murdering their children.  Shopping malls would be full of stressed out parents strangling their kids and then having to leave them in the trash bags that are every 30 feet in America now that murder is legal.

You wouldn't trust someone who hadn't murdered anyone. 

"What not even a hooker?  Jeeze, live a little you weirdo."

One of my favourite Louis CK riffs of all time!

Cheers,
Duckman

+1 .... also love his bit about God coming back and seeing what we've done to the planet ...

"The polar bears ... are BROWN?! What did you do? What did you -- DID YOU SHIT ON THE POLAR BEARS?