News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The Office

Started by Alex Smiley, June 10, 2011, 02:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Smiley

I'm a big fan of the US version, but I've also been watching the UK version on Netflix. Some amazing stuff, IMO. Anyone else seen this?

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Fnord

I've never watched the British version cause I'm a stupid American.  It's true.  I've thought about it, but then just forgot about it.  Is it worth watching---even to a stupid American?   ;D

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Hondo

Send on the flames... but I've preferred the American version over what I've seen of the British version. I dunno, the Gervais version is OK, but the Carell version transcends and becomes more of a ensemble piece.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Alex Smiley

Abso-frickin-lutely. The humor seems to be cranked up here, and it's awesome. Then again  I'm a bit of a Gervais fan myself

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Did you just ask if people have seen the Office...

you going to post a topic about this new idea called shoelaces next?
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Fnord

Quote from: Bill-E Mitchell on June 10, 2011, 02:53:06 PM
Did you just ask if people have seen the Office...

you going to post a topic about this new idea called shoelaces next?

+1

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Gary

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Adam Daniels

I've seen bits of both versions and honestly, while I like the American one better...Gervais does the awkwardly unfunny boss role so natural cause hes British.

Kevin on the American one is better then his UK counterpart. Much funnier.

Black Death

the reason the American is better is the american version supported cast is stronger the UK version.  it focus on them little more that UK did
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Hondo

Right now I'm wondering who's going to end up being the new boss.

I've heard a lot of different rumors on this. I've heard that Catherine Tate is the producers' first choice, but she has a lot of stage commitments and may not be available to do it.

I've also read interviews in which they don't want to make any major hires and focus more on an ensemble show.

I read where James Spader's performance on the finale was pretty well-received with the fans (it was pretty good if I must say so). Maybe the producers should listen to the fans and bring him in, maybe breathing new life into the show?

If I had to guess, I'd say they make Ed Helms' Andy Bernard character the new boss. They probably want to take more advantage of his Hangover fame, while at the same time not upsetting the balance of the show.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Hondo

Adding to my last post a little.

A few weeks ago, officetally.com (a really awesome Office fansite) ran a poll to see who viewers thought should be the new boss. They were given the choice of the current cast, past cast members and those shown giving interviews in the finale. After 13,000 votes, here were the results.

Quote1. Ed Helms (Andy Bernard) 10.97%
2. Ricky Gervais (David Brent) 10.83%
3. James Spader (Robert California) 9.86%
4. Jim Carrey (Finger Lakes guy) 9.86%
5. Will Arnett (Fred Henry) 9.02%
6. John Krasinski (Jim Halpert) 9.02%
7. Rainn Wilson (Dwight Schrute) 6.05%
8. Craig Robinson (Darryl Philbin) 5.83%
9. Ray Romano (Merv Bronte) 4.8%
10. Andy Buckley (David Wallace) 4.73%
11. Catherine Tate (Nellie Bertrum) 4.02%
12. Creed Bratton (Creed Bratton) 3.20%
13. Jenna Fischer (Pam Beasley-Halpert) 2.46%
14. Melora Hardin (Jan Levinson) 1.54%
15. Mindy Kaling (Kelly Kapoor) 1.08%
16. Unknown actor (Deshaun Williams) 1.07%
17. Warren Buffet (presumed "as himself") 1.04%
18. BJ Novak (Ryan Howard) 1.01%
19. Brian Baumgartner (Kevin Malone) 0.95%
20. Paul Lieberstein (Toby Flenderson) 0.87%
21. Leslie David Baker (Stanley Hudson) 0.66%
22. Oscar Nunez (Oscar Martinez) 0.52%
23. Zach Woods (Gabe Lewis) 0.30%
24. Angela Kinsey (Angela Martin) 0.15%
25. Phyllis Smith (Phyllis Lapin-Vance) 0.13%
26. Kate Flannery (Meredith Palmer) 0.11%

The operator of the site has a good relationship with the producers and cast (she appeared in the Company Picnic episode), so they're more than likely aware of these results.

Right off the bat, scratch off Jim Carrey, Will Arnett and Warren Buffet. Arnett has a new show coming this fall on NBC, so he's not going to be available. Jim Carrey's just too big of a star to take a demotion (and paycut), and Warren Buffet is too busy being one of the richest men in the world. You can probably scratch Gervais off the list as well. Even though he's one of the executive producers, he's said in interviews he has no interest in being on the show.

Also, scratch off everyone else from #12 on down, as most aren't serious canidates anyway. "Deshaun Williams" was basically a plot device to worry Darryl about having the "being black" advantage. Jan Levinson could be a choice, but they developed her character as being so mentally unstable that she probably wouldn't be credible as "the boss". That leaves eight viable canidates. Helms, Spader, Krasinski, Wilson, Robinson, Romano, Buckley and Tate.

If they want to go the route of not hiring a "big name", they could always bring David Wallace back, who was well-received as Dunder Mifflin's good-natured CFO from Season 2-the Sabre buyout. Jim would be best served by showcasing his rivalry with Dwight, plus we already saw Jim as boss last season, and it wasn't particularly well-received.

I think Ray Romano has a show on TNT or something, so he may not be available. And Tate scored pretty low for a supposed "front runner".

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Black Death on June 13, 2011, 12:43:09 AM
the reason the American is better is the american version supported cast is stronger the UK version.  it focus on them little more that UK did

Probably one of the more ridiculous statements in this thread. I like the American one, dont get me wrong, but the English one works better because an actual office could work like that. Characters like Scott and Shrute are not remotely realisitc where as in the English one there is a strong sense of people actually being realistic. My missus loves the American one over the English one, but admits the English one is so much more realisitc in terms of actual characters than some off the wall episode where Dwight shoots a gun, Michael Scott makes his own film. Seeing as she isnt a fan of the British one and works in an office I tend to seen someone here with a very unbiased opinion when it comes to comparing the two.

Brent for me is a brilliant tragic figure of a middle management type who has been able to coast for the better part of a few years in this dead end job in all accounts a shit boring industry and then when opportunity knocks in the case of a fly on the wall documentary he sees it as his chance to shine when in fact he shows his complete inadequacy of being able to do his job, a lonely man on the verge of a midlife crisis. Michael Scott was this for about a season and then they failed for me to give him what he needed most...to be sacked and left at that.

The American Office I think is going to completely bomb next season because it's gone on about 3 seasons too long. The UK one did two seasons which contained 6 episodes each 12 full episodes all together and then they left you with David Brent being made redundant...

They then kept you on a cliff hanger where you didn't know what happened to Brent...what happened to the Office as a whole and whether Dawn would ditch her twat of a fiance Lee and realize that love was a few steps away in Tim. They built the suspense brillantly waiting to answer these questions with two Christmas special episodes which answered everything you needed to know and was able to turn David Brent from a vile villian to someone you had a genuine feeling of wanting to come out ok the otherside. That to me is superb television and storytelling and you know what they did which the Office has never done, exploited the fact there is a televison crew filming the office which is the WHOLE POINT.

Honestly, the way the American one is shot now apart from the little cut away one on one interviews you wouldn't know that it was suppose to be a "fly on the wall" documentary. Gervais as Brent in the Christmas special is just cringe worthy brilliant as a man who has had a small if not the smallest taste of reality tv fame and has lived off of it. The music video thing and the Austin Powers promotional thing are two of the funniest and cringe worthy moments I have seen on TV.

I like the American one and it tickles my funny bone, but to imply the cast are this or that better than the UK one doesnt work for me. Most of them have got better movie and TV work off of being on the Office Show to me that doesnt make them a better supporting cast, what it means is the show has gone on too long and they have to focus on these other characters to have a reason to keep airing the show.

Honestly...when Scott left they should have called time on it there and then. It wont be the same and you will get people saying it was like when say the Walsh family left 90210 or when the Fonz became an old dude and the entire High School gang fucked off.

Hondo

Quote from: Jack Benevolence on June 13, 2011, 11:49:56 AM

I take it Will Farrell is out then? I thought he was great for his run.

I think Andy would be the most natural replacement, but he seems like he would be too much like Michael Scott and it would feel like they were just trying to replace Scott with a similar character.

It's unfortunate that Will Arnett would likely do his other show. I think he would kill in that role.

Either way, I think the best thing is for them to bring someone else in. If they just promoted a current office character then it would feel like the old office minus their star as opposed to a new office with a new star.

He's not a huge star, but I think Louie C.K. Would also be great in the role.

I thought Louis CK killed in his role as Officer Dave Sanderson on Parks and Recreation. He showed some serious acting chops and even though his character only had a brief run, it was memorable. I think he has a show on FX or something right now, but if he were available, I'd surely not turn him down.

As for Will Farrell, I wasn't a fan. Outside of his fake-juggling routine, I didn't really find him funny or interesting. He seemed kinda lost to me.

And while I agree with Ian that the show has probably gone on too long, it's still better than at least half the sitcoms on network TV right now. Outside of Parks and Rec, Modern Family and Community, how many shows could you call "better"?Not to mention it still pulls in good ratings, finishing first or second behind Grey's Anatomy for its timeslot. The network execs realize this and will milk that cow for what it's worth, legacy be danged.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I am a fan Jack don't get me wrong, I watch them all like you guys do, I just think they are going the way of almost a live animated Simpson's where they are running out of things to have an episode about lol.

Black Death

sorry ian  ,  I found the support cast to the american office much better the uk version.  That one  of the reasons it lasted so long.  when must uk to us shows are dead and bury by now
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"