Video Game Fights: FF7 vs all other Final Fantasies

Started by The Murph, September 13, 2008, 08:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Murph

Cliff you really can't wait to start school again can you lol. FFVII as #10. Surely you jest. We've gone over this before and I've gone over this with Bryan as well. It is the single greatest game ever made.

Judge

FFVII Pales in comparison to the SNES FF games, specifically 4 and 6.

Silly Fanboi.

Bryan

i agree with judge. IV and VI are classics and VII pales in comparison.

The Murph

VII is so much better. The story, the graphics, the length. Everything in it is so frigging awesome.

Outside of that I'd have to go with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Guitar Hero 3, NHL 2004, Call of Duty 4, WWF Royal Rumble on the Genesis, Mortal Kombat 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and lots more.

Excaligore

Quote from: Matthew Murphy on September 13, 2008, 11:19:38 PM
VII is so much better. The story, the graphics, the length. Everything in it is so frigging awesome.

10 reasons why FF6 is better than FF7:

1 - Each character has an individual power(Most of which are fairly ambitious and obscure. IE. Sabin's Street Fighter Combo like Blitzes). Therefore picking an arrangement of four different characters will give you a completely different playing experience than FF7's characters which are statistically indifferent to each other.
2 - The second half of the game is entirely freeform. Now, many games are completely freeform. But, I feel that with most sandbox style games(Oblivion, etc.) the storyline usually feels chopped up. But with FF6 the storyline all make sense. Everything is intertwined with everything. You have that freedom but you also have that structure. FF7 pretty much was just linear throughout.
3 - Final Fantasy 7's Materia system is too loose. It pretty much allows you to set up your characters however you wish. Which is good but it does it in a way to essentially, again, they aren't that different.
4 - You cannot switch Cloud off of the team which means that you cannot evenly level up all your characters. Cloud becomes a super omni-badass since getting his super limit break and final weapon is much easier than everyone else. Plus, his weapons and limit breaks more powerful. You end up relying entirely on Cloud's power to fight through the enemies rather than trying to strategically set up your team.
5 - FF6 had the most awesome, and underrated, Relic system ever. You could seriously do some really cool things with that.(IE. combining true guard with blackbelt and getting a guy who takes damage for the weak and does counter attacks for it). With cool bits like the Wall ring, etc. That were very well balanced and all had their advantages and drawbacks. It allowed you to set up two for two combos.
6 - FF6 has shorter spaces between plot points. Making for a more flowing plot. Albeit, It's hard to discern which storyline is better between FF7 and FF6. FF6 was on a 16 bit cartridge and got more leverage out of that. Besides, look at the difference storylinewise from FF6 to FF5 and FF4. Compared to FF7 compared to FF6. FF6 was a way larger leap.
7 - Kefka. Sephiroth was evil and all. But Kefka had such a Machiavellian charm to him. Plus, I mean, the guy actually succeeded. I think FF6 is the only game where the villian actually brings on the apocalypse(apart from like Ocarana of Time. And that invovled time travel so, yeah.) and you have to actually stop him after it.
8 - FF6 was a groundbreaking game intellectually when it came to emotional storytelling. There is not a single game on the SNES or any console at the time that I say can even match it's depth. I honestly think Final Fantasy 6 is underrated for exactly how groundbreaking it was in these categories.
9 - If they ever did a full 3d Remake of it and really spent money and time into it. Orchestrated the sound track and came up with renderings that truly matched Amanos artistic vision. This would be the most beautiful game of all time.
10 - FF6 consisted of my entire childhood. (That and Knights of the Round the cheat so infinitely powerful it defeats every form of Sephiroth in one shot.)

The Murph

Cliff the thing that matters the most is how immersed you can get in a story. And frankly FFVII captures you. And plus when Aeris died we all did a little inside. And Tank because u play GTA makes u a fan boy lol. And you play Gears of War? If I'm not on your list add me GrandKillerMatt. i suck right now but improving.

Judge

Stolen from the 75 games thread - make your argument here

Judge

Quote from: Matthew Murphy on September 14, 2008, 02:59:40 AM
Cliff the thing that matters the most is how immersed you can get in a story. And frankly FFVII captures you. And plus when Aeris died we all did a little inside. And Tank because u play GTA makes u a fan boy lol. And you play Gears of War? If I'm not on your list add me GrandKillerMatt. i suck right now but improving.

I think what happened is a lot of people in the US, FF7 was the first mainstream RPG they ever played.  It only became mainstream because of the PSX and the massive advertising blitz that Sony shelled out for, on behalf of Square.

Had all of these new RPG players had gone back and played all the other prior versions, they would easily see that the graphics don't matter, it's the story, the feel of the characters, the feeling of loss you get when Kefka fucking destroys the world.

Sephiroth was a damned emo pussy crying and slitting his wrists cause he missed his mom.

Kefka was a legit psychopath.

Bryan

completely agree.

FFVII was the first mainstream RPG in North America- before they were just a novelty. FFVII made all other RPGs cool by comparison so a lot of people consider it the standard, when it shouldn't be.

and yes, Kefka > Sephiroth, easily. Kefka is my favorite Final Fantasy boss.

Excaligore

Well, I'd like to point out that I'm a personal fan of Final Fantasy 7. I think it's one of the deepest and most compelling games(storyline wise) I've ever played. But, I mean, Final Fantasy 6 was a masterpiece.

Black Death

lol... this funny .  I been a fan of the whole FF series for along time ,  comparing 6 to 7 is funny because they are different in everyway.  6 was the peak of what you can do in the 16 bit .  It could not get any better and I will not angry on that . but  now  compare to 7 ... it little behind and not on the game play.  It because FFVII was the true  and first 3d Rpg that grab you and made you want to finish the story.  I help put sony  Ps along with MGS on the map.  You saw something that you never saw before .  A main character die and not at the end of the game too.  That alone made you get up from your seat and say fuck... plus it suck if you had given her some of the good stuff to hold on too...lol   If you did not cry for the flower girl..then you are not human.   Both of them were great game and remember the series was set up that one game is really not related to the othere . they all have the some of the same traits ,  CId and Chcobo...stuff like that  but they are each speacial in there own way. 
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Smash INC

Vagrant Story.

This may be an FF thread but I'll be damned if I didn't mention that game here.

Speaking of FF games, I hold FF6, 9 and 12 in higher regard than 7.

Judge

BD, FF4 has 4 of your main characters die.  Not saying who.  But they're there and they come as a complete shock.

Excaligore

Actually, on that point, I have to defend BD. Most characters come back. None of them have anywhere near the dramatic effect of Aeris dying.

Black Death

Judge what you are comparing is classic of the past gaming to  classics of modern gaming .  FF6 may be better in gameplay, but you can do deny that FF7 was just as good in gameplay and the story was top notch.  The ending alone and we cover this was top notch and the story still goes on.  now I would love them to do a remake of FF6 with todays tech...then I cream in my pants.    lol  but both were great games for there systems , but FF7 still  is sightly ahead , but not bacause of game play but because of the imapct it had the genre of RPG and it  is why the RPG is so popular now .   
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"