News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

The Vault: Art Zoyd

Started by Excaligore, April 26, 2009, 07:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Excaligore

Alright, I'm guessing a total of probably 0% of you have heard of Art Zoyd. It is, after all, a very very obscure endeavor. A band that's been around for awhile and I'm 99% sure isn't doing a whole lot lately but I guarantee to anybody who chooses to actually listen you'll get something new. I just can't guarantee that it'll be liked but it's worth a shot.

There music is extremely nuanced, creative, and unpredictable. From album to album there's a drastic change in moods and tones(always utilizing classical music, sometimes utilizing electronics, and with a mostly very horror tone). Very very complex music that's uncompromisingly progressive. However, it's music that can only be enjoyed if the listener is patient and can appreciate lengthy compositions(often of the 10-20 minute variety). But, it's entirely worth it for those who do.

I've been listening to Art Zoyd all week and get the feeling I stumbled on a real hidden gem. I love it because I absolutely hate pop music and have a certain disdain for the unnecessary "evil" burping(Zoyd often tends to have a very legit "horror" feel to it's sound without such tricks), pitch correction robot voice, or disgusting hipster trendiness of most modern music. Art Zoyd is none of that. It's fairly artsy extremely progressive music unclassifiable by genre but uncompromising in terms of brilliance. It's not fucking Creed. It's not fucking Godsmack. It's not fucking Drowning Pool. It transcends all of that.

As for samples. I can find scraps on youtube. But, very little that illustrates the full power and variance of their sound(Which is of a zenith of it's own). I recommend that somebody give one of their full albums a listen. They seem to be impossible to torrent but I know a place that pretty much hosts all of them. I know it's an odd request to ask but I am hoping for God's sakes that somebody will do so. Since music this ingenious is screaming to be heard.

- Bad quality but eh...

- Good song in it's own right but very defiant of their average sound. Surprisingly poppy and very little of what they usually do. (After listening about 5 of their albums on a consistent basis this seems to be the only one that actually has lyrics and closest thing to a "Verse/Chorus/Bridge" structure)