News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

3rd Quarter report!

Started by Tim-Æ, October 13, 2009, 10:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

Well its been 2.5 months since the last edition, and I should get this out there now, before we hit the last tier of 2009. There aren't many releases after this that I'm looking forward too...but there may be a few surprises so we'll see.

I have whittled it down to albums instead of releases so the following I will give special attention to, but will unfortunately not  be listed on the top 10 albums as they are only EPs.

Deerhunter: Rainwater Cassette Exchange
No Age: Losing Feeling

Two of the best bands to come out of the last decade, and these are two stellar EPs that capture what the bands are all about. I strongly recommend both of these EPs. I actually bought hard copies of both of them.

And now....20 albums that I have absolutely enjoyed thoroughly in 2009, but NOT in order. They are just in alphabetical order...

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
The Antlers - Hospice
Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
Atlas Sound - Logos
Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
Dinosaur Jr. - Farm
The Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
Girls - S/t
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
Japandroids - Post-Nothing
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Smith Westerns - s/t
Sonic Youth - The Eternal
The Thermals - Now We Can See
Times New Viking - Born Again Revisited
White Rabbits - It's Frightening
Wilco - Wilco (The Album)
The xx - XX
Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs

As of right now, those are the best albums I've heard so far this year. As for which album will get the meaningless but highly coveted #1 slot is up in the air. Earlier this year Animal Collective was a shoe in, but then the Japandroids came along, and who could forget Atlas Sound? Veckatimest has also crept into my playlist more frequently lately....time will tell.