News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The Fuck List

Started by Gary, June 30, 2010, 12:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty

It's -40, my car won't start despite being plugged in yet my wife got the Toyota working on her first try. Fuck Korea, last time I get a Kia. I hate being late for work.

Judge

Plugged in?  Fully electric?

jagilki

From WIKI

QuoteA block heater warms an engine to ease and speed starting and vehicle warmup in cold weather. The most common type is an electric heating element connected through a power cord often routed through the vehicle's grille. The block heater may replace one of the engine's core plugs, or may be installed in line with one of the radiator or heater hoses. Block heaters that run on the vehicle's own gasoline or diesel fuel supply are also available; these require no external power source. The coolant is heated and circulated, usually by thermosiphon, through the engine and the vehicle's heater core. Heaters are also available for engine oil so that warm oil can quickly circulate throughout the engine during startup. The easier starting results from warmer, less viscous engine oil and less condensation of fuel on cold metal surfaces inside the engine; thus a block heater reduces a vehicle's emission of unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide; also heat is available more quickly for the passenger compartment and glass defogging.[1]

Block heaters or coolant heaters are also found on permanently installed systems using diesel engines to allow standby generator sets to take up load quickly in an emergency.

QuoteBlock heaters are widely used in regions with cold winters such as the northern U.S., and parts of Canada and Scandinavia. In colder climates, block heaters are often standard equipment in new vehicles. In extremely cold climates, electrical outlets are sometimes found in public or private parking lots, especially in multi-storey car parks. Some parking lots cycle the power on for 20 minutes and off for 20 minutes, in order to reduce electricity costs.

Research by the Agricultural Engineering Department of the University of Saskatchewan has shown that operating a block heater for longer than four hours prior to starting a vehicle is a waste of energy. It was found that coolant temperature increased by almost 20 °C (36.0 °F) degrees in that period, regardless of the initial temperature (4 tests were run at ambient temperatures ranging from âˆ'11 °C/12 °F to âˆ'29 °C/âˆ'20 °F); continued use of the heater for a further one or two, or more, hours achieved a mere 2 or 3 more degrees Celsius as conditions stabilized. Engine oil temperature was found to increase over these periods by just 5 °C (9.00 °F).[2]

There are alternatives to a block heater that offer some of the same benefits. These include heaters attached to the engine's oil pan, usually with magnets. Dipstick heaters can be installed in place of the engine's oil dipstick. Heated blankets are available for the entire engine area, as well. A timer can be used with any of these heaters, so that it does not have to be left on all the time. This can help lower the electrical costs of using a block heater.[1]

Some cars, such as the second generation Toyota Prius, pump hot coolant from the cooling system into a 3 litre insulated thermos-style reservoir at shutdown, where it stays warm for up to 3 days.[3]

Ty

Wow, I didn't know other countries didn't have block heaters

Judge

Oh yeah, I live in an area where I'm not in danger of having my nuts frozen off by going outside.  No experience with block heaters.

Ty

Quote from: Judge Anger on January 19, 2012, 06:56:47 AM
Oh yeah, I live in an area where I'm not in danger of having my nuts frozen off by going outside.  No experience with block heaters.

I dont consider it winter until I get a touch of frostbite, well, it's been winter now for a few days lol

jagilki

To Judge, winter means he might have to wear a longsleeve shirt.

Or his thicker hood/robes.

Gary

*Typing this while on a hammock as the sun shines*

what is this winter you speak of?

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Adam Wrong

fuck off you ripped sun worshipping mexican arsehole

Gary

[/center]

Drama Queen

Quote from: M.D.K. on January 19, 2012, 12:44:17 PM
fuck off you ripped sun worshipping mexican arsehole

It is a very very rare occasion that racism gets a +1 from me :D

Judge

Ripped?  Pics or GTFO.

No homo.

Gary

[/center]

Sgt. Josh Underpants

This is bullshit, something told me to go back and look at my old Pay stubs for the end of each year.  In the last three years, despite getting a raise each year I have made less money than the year before that.  I mean a good 1000 dollars difference.  Which would explain the whole despite making more money I'm still struggling to get by thing.
Shank â€" Action Josh Madrid does towards anyone making a racial slur towards latinos on the SB, his main target is usually Midas.
You Are Game Will Evolve
Quote from: Judge Reinhold on September 16, 2009, 07:30:31 AM
This dude is the most cracker looking beaner you\'ll ever meet.

Justin

Is that gross or after taxes?