News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The Fuck List

Started by Gary, June 30, 2010, 12:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

Quote from: Cory on June 15, 2015, 03:51:44 PM
So I've been at my new job for a month now, when I was hired I was told "as we're a retail store we are open Saturdays, but you can take a day off during the week".

So I've only had 2 weeks that I've gotten a day off, and that was per my request, oppose actually getting my day off. When I asked if I could get on a schedule of what day I can have off during the week, I was told "Cory we want to get you more comfortable with the store and day to day before we can start giving you your day off".

Ok, well now I know about as much as I could grasp....but still no talk from my boss regarding my day off. Im working 45hrs a week but only getting paid for 40.

The thing that makes this awkward for me to ask, is everyone around me appears to be working 6 days a week. But I dont know if that's what they were hired on for or just because its the "busy" season they're just working what they need to. However because im salary im only getting paid for 40, where the rest of the staff is hourly so I know their getting paid for the extra day.

Just have no idea really how to approach the boss about this without sounding like a dickhead. I've tried to run the conversation through my head but haven't found a good way to bring this up.

Welcome to the team of salaried employees.  I know how you feel.

On another note,  97 degree weather and a protein shake does not mix well.

Duckman

Cory, Dorling is totally right, the only way you deal with these kind of situations is by approaching your boss in a calm and professional manner and raising your concerns.  You don't need to start quoting your contract terms (save that for later down the line if things aren't resolved) but you do need to explain your position and get confirmation from your boss on what their position is.

In any employment case I've dealt with, the issue is always communication (or lack thereof).  One side is always steaming away quietly, while the other side thinks everything is fine.  You're all professionals and you all work for the same team, so there's absolutely no issue with asking questions and seeking clarification on your understanding of how things work - especially when you've only been there a short time.

Speak to the guy in charge, let him know what you're thinking and see what the response is.  Then at least you know where you stand, what you can expect in the future and how you deal with things moving forward.

Don't worry about being the noob rocking the boat, the whole reason you're asking the questions is because you're new and you need to know what's going on early on, to avoid things becoming an issue later on down the line.

Good luck.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Judge

Ya'll must think people sign contracts for work on this side of the Atlantic.  Unless you're a fracking CEO, everything is at will.  Even salaried positions.

Drama Queen

Cory, please don't take advice from people living on the other side of the world.

I don't want to disrespect anyone here. I care about the folks here which is why I'm saying this.

The corporate atmosphere is such that if a new guy raises even the slightest concern, he can be fired and replaced in the blink of an eye.

Having said that I'm speaking as someone in the N.Y.area. Canada may be completely different. Point is you need a grasp of your own local environment.

Drama Queen

Not implying you should suck corporate dick for the rest of your life. Just that you should be aware of possible consequences.

Duckman

Seriously, you can't even raise the slightest concern about working hours or conditions in general?  And you don't have contracts? 

That's fucking disgusting and illegal in this country.  As it should be in the US.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Justin

Quote from: Duckman on June 16, 2015, 08:01:38 AM
Seriously, you can't even raise the slightest concern about working hours or conditions in general?  And you don't have contracts? 

That's fucking disgusting and illegal in this country.  As it should be in the US.

As a salaried employee you are considered exempt from being paid for overtime.  The expectation is that if you're salaried that it's an unwritten rule that you work over if you need/have to because something needs to get done, not because you expect to be paid or given recognition for it.

Drama Queen

Workers are just another resource here Sam. He might not get fired, some bosses have slight traces of conscience, but it will absolutely go against him in performance reviews or promotion opportunities.

Remember how hard he said it was to get such a position without experience. I have a feeling they hired with full intention of manipulating that as leverage to get everything they can from him.

Sorry :(

Tritch

A lot of salary positions pay you for ~46 hrs a week though, even if you're only working 40, to take the overtime into account. Check your pay stub.

Best Town Player - 2008
2nd-Best Overall Player - 2008
2nd-Best Moderator - 2008
Best Third Party Player - 2010
2nd-Best Use of a Night Action - 2010
Best Game (Batman: Arkham City) - 2012
Best Moderator - 2012
2nd-Best Third Party - 2012
Best Game (Batman: Wayne Penitentiary) - 2013
Best Moderator - 2013
2nd-Best Town Player - 2014
2nd-Best Scum Player - 2015
2nd-Best Moderator - 2016
Best Game (The Conjunction: Episode 1) - 2016

Captain Metro

I would listen to DQ and Justin even though they're south of the border, the same thing is applicable up here in Canada especially as a management employee. You're paid more because you have more responsibility; working extra hours to make sales targets, covering shifts when you're employee has a hang nail and can't come in etc. That's part of your job description and really not negotiable.

Haters gonna hate. Just win baby!

Quote"I'm like Disneyland - overpriced as shit but everyone leaves happy!"

Justin

Quote from: Drama Queen on June 16, 2015, 08:26:21 AM
Workers are just another resource here Sam. He might not get fired, some bosses have slight traces of conscience, but it will absolutely go against him in performance reviews or promotion opportunities.

Remember how hard he said it was to get such a position without experience. I have a feeling they hired with full intention of manipulating that as leverage to get everything they can from him.

Sorry :(

Exactly.  You worked hard to get the position and if you go to raise a concern, unfortunately they will see you only as a young guy who isn't cut our for management because he doesn't won't to put in the extra effort.

Quote from: Tritch on June 16, 2015, 09:42:25 AM
A lot of salary positions pay you for ~46 hrs a week though, even if you're only working 40, to take the overtime into account. Check your pay stub.

Checked mine.  And went back and checked mine at my previous employer.  I only get paid for 40.

Cory

Quote from: Captain Metro on June 16, 2015, 09:58:51 AM
I would listen to DQ and Justin even though they're south of the border, the same thing is applicable up here in Canada especially as a management employee. You're paid more because you have more responsibility; working extra hours to make sales targets, covering shifts when you're employee has a hang nail and can't come in etc. That's part of your job description and really not negotiable.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I was worrying that "rocking the boat" as the new guy was a sentence for them to say fuck this dude, lets starting looking for his replacement

....but still just spoke with her this morning before anyone else was in and was like "hey dont want to be a dick, but can I start scheduling my day off" and she agreed.  I had to be flexible with the day (Monday, Friday, Saturday were no gos) but boys talked her in, THURSDAYS OFF.

Lets go. I imagine once the summer rush dies off and when no one comes in for days on end come fall/winter I'm gonna try and see if I can get a Sunday/Monday off, but I'm happy with the 'win' for the new guy.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Rob

Justin that is an expectation with those in the retail sector in the UK too.

I'm just going through the process of a promotion to a salaried role so I don't get paid for the overtime I do. It's just one of those things
SixersEagles

[/center]

T-Bonizzle

Quote from: Duckman on June 16, 2015, 08:01:38 AM

HAHAHAHAHA

You should read up on 'Right to Work' Laws some time.

Drama Queen