News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Disney shuts down LucasArts

Started by Marq, April 03, 2013, 04:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marq

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2013/04/03/disney-lucasarts-closing-star-wars/2050055/

QuoteDisney has confirmed it will shut down the beloved game studio LucasArts in favor of a licensing model leveraging the popular Star Wars brand and other properties.

According to a LucasArts statement released Wednesday, the transition will require layoffs at the game studio best known for its series of Star Wars titles as well as classic adventure games such as The Secret of Monkey Island.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," reads the statement. "As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

In a separate statement, Disney Interactive -- the company's video game label -- says it "looks forward to working with Lucasfilm on new games opportunities that leverage their incredible IP and brings it to life across gaming platforms."

Also, Lucasfilm says development on future projects such as the action title Star Wars 1313 has been "halted."

Last October, Disney acquired Lucasfilm in a blockbuster deal worth $4 billion, giving them the rights to the company's lucrative Star Wars franchise.

The move is the latest in Disney's larger plan to reorganize its games business, focusing on projects such as Disney Infinity, which combines video games with collectible figurines players can bring to life, as well as titles for the Web and mobile devices.

"Layoffs are going to continue to happen fairly regularly in the video game space as companies figure out how to either re-tool for all the mobile opportunities, or how to re-deploy other assets such as licensing out their intellectual properties," says Digital World Research analyst P.J. McNealy.

In January, Disney shut down Junction Point Studios, which developed the series Epic Mickey for video game consoles. While the first title for the Nintendo Wii was a success, the sequel Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two faltered despite expanding to additional platforms.

Founded in 1982, LucasArts has a rich history in the video game industry thanks to both Star Wars and its impressive stable of early adventure games for the PC, including The Secret of Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion and Grim Fandango.

Despite the demise of LucasArts, the Star Wars franchise won't disappear from video games any time soon.

"With Disney now potentially licensing Star Wars out to external developers, the potential for future great versions of the game will grow," says McNealy. "Any platform, whether it be iOS, Android, Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo, will always want Star Wars games available."

Thanks, Mickey.

Prick.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Crazy Kyd

I was mad after I read this on my phone earlier. I really don't like this decision.

GM Franchise

What a dumb decision. They should continue using Lucasarts since it's widely associated with Star Wars. Basically do with it what they did with Pixar and its name after buying that company.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Stoner

The problem is Lucasarts hasn't put out any good starwars or indiana jones games in a while.  The best of those series have been made by other developers recently or, in Indy's case, inspired games that are going to be hard to top anyway(I'm looking at you Uncharted and Tomb Raider).

I agree that it sucks that it happened though.  As I said in the shoutbox, hopefully Blizzard does like they did after the THQ thing and picks up these free agents quick.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Chris Stern

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well there goes my hopes for seeing Grim Fandango and Maniac Mansion ever getting re-released..

Marq

Quote from: Stonerman on April 03, 2013, 05:58:49 PM
The problem is Lucasarts hasn't put out any good starwars or indiana jones games in a while.  The best of those series have been made by other developers recently or, in Indy's case, inspired games that are going to be hard to top anyway(I'm looking at you Uncharted and Tomb Raider).

I agree that it sucks that it happened though.  As I said in the shoutbox, hopefully Blizzard does like they did after the THQ thing and picks up these free agents quick.

I can tell you for a fact that the single, biggest weakness for LucasArts was also what brought it to the dance -- its association with LucasFilm.

As a video game company, it's hard enough trying to get a good product together, but when you're a video game company run by a MOVIE company? Forget about it. Long story short, games put out were held to the same expectations and standards as a movie would -- which just doesn't work.

LucasFilm's president didn't and never believed in LucasArts. Hence, they got shafted every way they could during development (derailing some GREAT projects in favor of pocket-lining bullshit like Kinect Stars Wars), which meant mediocre titles released way too fucking early.

Releasing a game before it's truly finished (like with "KOTOR 2" and ESPECIALLY "Force Unleased II") severely hurts the credibility and reputation of a game company. As someone who's seen and played demos for the games that just got cancelled, it is a fucking SHAME they won't see the light of day. "1313," alone, was poised to be a game-changer, considering all the lighting and visual tech we were getting from big brother in Industrial Light & Magic.

And now?

Nothing.

Mickey's a cunt.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"