WWE: Royal Rumble 2015 News & Rumors

Started by Fnord, October 08, 2014, 10:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Smiley

Powers, who are you to discredit someone who is clearly the Soul of Philly?

Don't worry TJ, I've got your back ;)

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: Mike Powers on November 23, 2014, 06:55:48 PM
Just because your too young to have experienced ECW,  you're discounting it, and any fan older than 30.

Old man alert.

1) I seen enough ECW to understand what made it great in the ring.

2) I've lived in and around Philly enough to talk to people who went to ever ECW show and they loved it (Key word loved)

3) 60-70% of them are not going to WWE events i.e. spending 100 bucks per person+ travel (be it the subway or car) to see two or three ECW guys. Of those 60-70 percent, half of them are fathers that watch wrestling with their kid(s).

I'm not discounting ECW, I'm discouting the crowd that WWE will have, and yes there will be a ton of smarks there, Philly is a smark city, I'll be there, and if WWE decides to waste money on the ECW guys (odds are they're going to count RVD as a ECW guy and maybe bring in Sandman and Dreamer because those are the only ones WWE cares enough about), the pop with the classic ECW theme vs the pop with the WWE theme would not be noticable. What matters is the guys who they get, and it'll be a handful that were a part of the WWECW and hell, by then, we could see the Dudleys make a return in the match.

You know what music will blow the roof off the Wells Fargo Center, Shane O'Mac.

Mike Powers

I'm not insinuating that old ECW fans will go to the Rumble specifically to see a few ECW guys. I'm saying that there will be a large population of 30+ year old fans (those fans bringing their kids that you mentioned) that are wrestling fans, meaning that they used to go to the Arena, and they continue to go to the WWE.

If Enter Sandman, or Walk, or Natural Born Killa's, or Man in the Box, or any other recognizable themes hit, there will be a big pop. Yes, bigger than their WWE themes.

Stoner

I'll tell you the truth, I really don't remember most of their WWE themes.  And while I never got to go to any ECW shows, I've watched enough(on WWE Network only $9.99) to know the ECW themes a lot better than the WWE themes.  I think the only guys who would get less of a pop from the ECW theme than the WWE theme would be Jericho, RVD or Rey Mysterio(if he counts), and that's because they're the only ones that really became a big enough star in WWE that they still use them regularly.  But Dreamer, Sandman, Sabu?

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Duckman

Don't forget, Vince hates paying for songs.  Shit, even when Sandman was in WWE they wouldn't stump up for Enter Sandman and just had their own generic, shitty version.

The arguments about pops for music hitting might be a moot point if the music never hits.

I reckon to a WWE crowd, RVD's one of a kind would get a bigger pop than his ECW music.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Fnord

Source: F4WOnline

We noted a while back that WWE had plans for a 40-man Royal Rumble main event in 2015 but it was later confirmed that the match would just be a 30-man Rumble.

It turns out that WWE wanted a number of ECW Originals in the match due to the show being held in Philadelphia. The idea was to use former ECW guys to get the match to 40 competitors. The idea of using former ECW guys was nixed and officials decided on going with the 30-man match.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Fnord

- WWE will finally be announcing more Royal Rumble entrants on Monday's RAW. Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns are the only Superstars confirmed so far.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 

Drama Queen

Maybe Batista will be back in time for the rumble  :)

Chris Stern

Quote from: Drama Queen on January 05, 2015, 02:13:48 PM
Maybe Batista will be back in time for the rumble  :)

As funny as that would be but I believe he is on the set of the new bond film.

Fnord

Reddit user MetsFan4Ever, who has broke several WWE stories in the past, noted on Monday that many WWE Superstars are greatly divided on who should win the 30-man Royal Rumble match later this month.

There are many people within WWE who feel that Roman Reigns should win and those same people feel that Reigns is the future of the company, the next John Cena. There are other people who feel Daniel Bryan should be that guy and if he isn't, there will be another disappointing end to the Rumble like in 2014.

There are officials who believe that Bryan winning the Rumble and main eventing WrestleMania 31 is a huge risk because of his past injury history. Some officials really feel that Bryan is a "B" level player and will never truly be at the top of the card. It was said that Bryan's long-term future is still in question.

Kise

And that's why I no longer sub to the network.

ToneCold

Quote from: Jack on January 08, 2015, 12:10:09 PM
I used to love ECW when it was on, so cool. That said...it ended 15 years ago, so I can't imagine the pops for anyone from ECW that didn't make it big in WWE would be that great.

I always try to remember when I was watching in the late 90s. If a guy who disappeared 15 years prior (would be about 1985 then) I wouldn't pop big at all. It would be a semi joke. If I was watching Royal Rumble 2000 and Stone Cold is there and The Rock is there and Undertaker is there...and then Dino Bravo's music hits...I'm not going to be excited...regardless of which music he walks out to.

Truth is, it's likely the same for anyone who will watch Royal Rumble 2015 with John Cena and Randy Orton and Roman Reigns and then seeing...Justin Credible.

ECW was great in it's day though!

As for people backstage with different opinions of who should win and be the future...I'm sure there are 30 guys backstage with 30 different ideas of who should win :)

To be fair on this one, ECW guys when they appear on TNA seem to get great reactions, but I'm mainly talking the top guys of oldschool ECW like Tommy Dreamer, Sabu, Tajiri (was awesome on the shows with Wrestle1).

I seem to remember that Royal Rumble 2000 had one mr Bob Backlund as one of the surprise/comedy entrants. They are a key part of the Rumble match and should certainly be there (yes, even that one year they had Drew Carey end up in the ring with Kane after the Hardyz had eliminated each other ... needless to say he eliminated himself).
That's the bottom line coz Tone Cold said so...

J-Reb

Fnord

As noted, Kane and Big Show were officially added to the 30-man Royal Rumble main event at last night's SmackDown tapings. A WWE Tag Team Title match with The Usos defending against The Miz & Mizdow was also added to the card. Below is the updated confirmed Rumble card:

30-Man Royal Rumble Match
Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan, Rusev, Bad News Barrett, Dean Ambrose, Bray Wyatt, Stardust, Goldust, Big Show, Kane

WWE World Heavyweight Title Match
John Cena vs. Seth Rollins vs. Brock Lesnar

WWE Tag Team Title Match
Damien Sandow & The Miz vs. The Usos

Chris Stern

Quote from: Fnord on January 14, 2015, 11:40:00 AM
As noted, Kane and Big Show were officially added to the 30-man Royal Rumble main event at last night's SmackDown tapings. A WWE Tag Team Title match with The Usos defending against The Miz & Mizdow was also added to the card. Below is the updated confirmed Rumble card:

30-Man Royal Rumble Match
Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan, Rusev, Bad News Barrett, Dean Ambrose, Bray Wyatt, Stardust, Goldust, Big Show, Kane

WWE World Heavyweight Title Match
John Cena vs. Seth Rollins vs. Brock Lesnar

WWE Tag Team Title Match
Damien Sandow & The Miz vs. The Usos

If history is any indication more then likely the tag match is going to get little time or pushed to the pre-show on the network.