WWE PPV: Wrestlemania XXX News/Rumors

Started by Fnord, November 08, 2013, 03:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnord

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

- Should the legendary Hulk Hogan be unable to compete alongside John Cena at WrestleMania XXX on April 6, 2014 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana, John Cena will face Bray Wyatt. That match will be the main event.

WWE chief Vince McMahon recently stated to the writers and producers that "Cena is the main event until his time is clearly up. That man feeds us!"

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Mike Powers

Meltzer has de-evolved into a troll. No way in HELL Bray Wyatt main events WM XXX.

jagilki

Let's post the whole thing.

QuoteHHH vs. C.M. Punk is now on the books for Mania as the climax of The Authority angle. Roman Reigns is a back-up plan for HHH's opponent, but there was a Langston vs. Reigns singles match tease on TV this week, and I don't see that taking place at the Rumble because that would seem way too soon, and the Elimination Chamber is a multiple-person main event. Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar is also still on the books for WrestleMania.

With all the top guys seemingly taken, that would still seem that Cena is in for something to do with Hogan in some form, since Cena should be involved if they do a Hogan final deal type of show. As of last week, Cena vs. Bray Wyatt, believe it or not, was the main event planned for the show. Vince McMahon stated to the writers and producers that "Cena is the main event until his time is clearly up. That man feeds us!"

That one I could see changing because it would require them to have confidence Wyatt has gotten over to that level, and right now that's going to be tough. It's great positioning for Wyatt when it comes to establishing him as a long-term top guy, although Miz was in a similar position in one of the biggest Manias of all-time, and look at how that ended up.

The booking is based on the idea Hogan won't be able to do a match or pass the medicals. That still leaves a Bryan vs. Michaels spot open (as noted, everyone internally is being told Michaels will not work another match, as are friends of Michaels, but even so I wouldn't reject that possibility 100%) as well as a lot of other guys not accounted for. Sheamus doing a heel turn could be a backup plan for Cena if they don't think Wyatt is ready for that spot, but that would be tough to put as the main event. It's a match that was done for months straight and as a main event program, and while it's foolish to think that Mania has to be all new matches, Cena vs. Sheamus doesn't feel like a Mania main event. Sheamus' shoulder hasn't recovered yet, which may cut into the time to get him over enough to be in that position, if that can even be done at this point, unless there was a great idea to heat him up.

Ryback vs. Goldberg would take place if they can make a Goldberg deal, and, as noted last week, Goldberg is driving a hard bargain. To me, if Michaels, Hogan and Batista are involved, there's zero point this year for Goldberg being involved given the cost and not being positioned strongly enough to where it'll make a business difference. If Michaels and Hogan aren't involved, the dynamic changes, but a Goldberg return should be high enough on the featured this to make it worth the expense. All the chants may sound like people want it, but it becomes overkill on outsiders. Plus, it's one thing if Ryback has been booked super strong and it would be a big match.

At this point, the only logical result of Goldberg vs. Ryback is Goldberg winning in two minutes with a spear and jackhammer, which is booking for a pop as it means nothing soap opera-wise or going forward and will be nothing more than a moment in the middle of the big show.

Ryback has lost far too often to mid-level WWE guys, so Goldberg putting him over would both be difficult to get Goldberg to agree to (in the sense it would take a lot of money), and would accomplish nothing since Ryback's been positioned the way he has. Goldberg winning in two minutes may get a quick nostalgia pop, but you can do that next year. Perhaps if there's no Hogan nor Michaels involved, the dynamic would be different, but the way things look, why spend that kind of money for something that's six matches deep in a 10 or so match card?

One match that was earmarked for the show, Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust, to me would be a big mistake. The two wanted to do the match last year, and even had an angle put in place to start it, but Vince McMahon vetoed it. This year, the tag team was originally set to lead to a split and a match at Mania. The problem is, the two have ended up forming a good team and not only is it way too early to split them, I think splitting them and feuding wouldn't work now, and may never work. Real brothers feuding only works when there is a story with real meat and believability to it (Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart). When it's done when there's no real good reason that people can buy (Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy, and no, nobody believed Matt set fire to Jeff's house and killed his dog) you can spend months building up a cartoon feud and the people will crap all over it. Plus, both have far more upsides together than either would separate for the time being, and for Goldust, it's a career saver because once they split, no matter how good a worker he is, they aren't going to push him as a single at his age.

Alex Smiley

They could always just go the "brothers and tag partners wrestle each other out of respect" angle. They did something like that for Eddie/Rey at WM21.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Fnord

- Regarding the news that Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena may take place at WrestleMania XXX, that was the plan as of this past Tuesday. The match wouldn't necessarily main event the pay-per-view.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 

Matt

In all honesty I would not want to see Hogan wrestle again. What would be the point in watching that? We all know he would win! I don't care if he did a promo or something. Like have the Real Americans in a match against someone like Mysterio and Sin Cara. Then after the match have Zeb get on the mic and talk bad on Mysterio and Sin Cara. Have Hogan come out and beat on Swagger and Cesaro then leg drop Zeb.
Check out my fed!

http://hcw14.proboards.com/

Fnord

Source: PWInsider Elite

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter recently reported that Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena was the current plan for the main event at WrestleMania XXX, however PWInsider reports that it's not the case.

Word going around WWE is that Cena vs. Wyatt was not something discussed recently. The idea of doing that match came up over a month ago with the idea that Wyatt could win the Royal Rumble and challenge Cena for the title at WrestleMania XXX. However, this storyline was mapped out before WWE made the decision to unify the titles at TLC, before they made Randy Orton champion and before the announcement of Batista's return.

There's now a feeling within WWE that Batista will win the Rumble and challenge whoever has the title at WrestleMania XXX. This doesn't mean that we won't see Wyatt vs. Cena down the line, but most likely not at WrestleMania XXX as WWE has other plans for Cena at the big event.

Fnord

Regarding John Cena's plans for WrestleMania XXX, the most recent talk had him teaming or aligning with Hulk Hogan in some way. This indicates that WWE is close to signing Hogan to a deal.

Several ideas with Hogan have been discussed among WWE creative including Cena having Hogan in his corner for a singles match and Cena and Hogan vs. "The Real Americans" Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro.

WWE officials have also discussed bringing Roddy Piper in for WrestleMania XXX. Ideas discussed involving Piper include Cena and Hogan vs. Piper and another heel, Hogan and Piper vs. Swagger and Cesaro or Hogan vs. Piper in a Legends singles match.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Fnord on January 02, 2014, 05:35:23 PM

Regarding John Cena's plans for WrestleMania XXX, the most recent talk had him teaming or aligning with Hulk Hogan in some way. This indicates that WWE is close to signing Hogan to a deal.

Several ideas with Hogan have been discussed among WWE creative including Cena having Hogan in his corner for a singles match and Cena and Hogan vs. "The Real Americans" Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro.

WWE officials have also discussed bringing Roddy Piper in for WrestleMania XXX. Ideas discussed involving Piper include Cena and Hogan vs. Piper and another heel, Hogan and Piper vs. Swagger and Cesaro or Hogan vs. Piper in a Legends singles match.

Hogan and Cena in the same place at the same time..why do I feel like the arena is going to implode with Hogan and Cena leeching off each other..

Fnord

- The Ultimate Warrior is now expected to have some kind of role at WrestleMania XXX, likely a Hall of Fame induction.

Fnord

- It's said that The Undertaker asked to work with Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXX. No word yet if it was discussed internally or anything.

- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter still reports that Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena is planned for WrestleMania XXX. We noted earlier in the week, via PWInsider, that the match was something discussed before WWE decided to unify the titles and before they made Randy Orton champion with the idea Bray could win the Royal Rumble and go on to challenge Cena.

Goldferg

Quote from: Chris Stern on January 02, 2014, 07:59:54 PM
Hogan and Cena in the same place at the same time..why do I feel like the arena is going to implode with Hogan and Cena leeching off each other..

Hogan and Cena in the same place would leach so much heat it'd snuff out the sun, ushering in a new ice age and the death of every living thing on the planet.

[spoiler]Cena kicks out at 2 and hits the AA for the win.[/spoiler]
Quote from: The Bong Guy Stoner Hall on February 06, 2010, 01:11:21 PM
I hammered The Pink Ranger...  I never thought I would be so sad to say that.....
Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on May 12, 2015, 11:15:06 AM
Becoming a super beast with a tendency for high octane flying shits...its a lifestyle choice.

Hondo

Quote from: Fnord on January 03, 2014, 02:26:13 AM

- It's said that The Undertaker asked to work with Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXX. No word yet if it was discussed internally or anything.

WOW! That's quite the endorsement of DB.*

*If true

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

J-Reb

I haven't ordered a wrestling PPV in years but I'd probably go for it with the Undertaker vs. DB.

Drama Queen

I would still love to see db vs Hbk. I would bet that db is the most consideration Hbk has given towards having one more match.

I think either Hbk or taker would sell like crazy and really make Bryan look like the star he truly is, to the point where even Vince McMahon cannot ignore it after that.