News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

"Pacific Rim" - What Did You Think?

Started by Fnord, July 16, 2013, 11:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnord

Guillermo Del Toro's $200 million monster movie "Pacific Rim" is now playing in theaters. If you already had the chance to see it, I want to know what you thought. Write your mini-reviews in a reply below.

On RottenTomatoes, "Pacific Rim" has a decent 72% fresh rating, with most critics agreeing that the film is "awesome" and the kind of movie that needs to be seen in theaters, in IMAX, and in 3D. While almost everyone believes it's entertaining and ambitions, there are plenty of critics who found the movie predictable and lacking in the story department.

"Pacific Rim" performed well on Thursday and Friday, but will struggle to compete with Adam Sandler's "Grown Ups 2," which has been trashed by critics (7% fresh rating). According to early predictions, "Pacific Rim" may earn as much as $50 million during the weekend, which means that it will need to have a strong overseas performance to become profitable.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Fnord

"Pacific Rim" is a Massive Box Office Flop

After the Thursday and Friday results, many thought that Guillermo Del Toro's "Pacific Rim" sci-fi film would be able to earn at least $50 million, which unfortunately would still not be enough to put the $200 million film on track to becoming profitable.

Now that the weekend results are in, it turns out that "Pacific Rim" performed worse than expected. The movie grossed only $38.3 million domestically, which means that it will heavily rely on international markets to break even. But those markets weren't interested in "Pacific Rim" either. The film grossed only $54 million overseas, much less than expected.

"Pacific Rim," which has a decent 72% fresh rating on RottenTomatoes, took third place at the box office, losing to Adam Sandler's "Grown Ups" sequel which landed in second place with $42.5 million. Since the comedy cost only $80 million to make, "Grown Ups 2" is already on its way to become a hit.

"Grown Ups 2," which has a 7% fresh rating, actually opened better than the first film ($40.2 million), which went on to become the highest-grossing Sandler movie with $271 million.

First place once again went to "Despicable Me 2," which earned an additional $44.7 million to bring its worldwide total to $472 million after only 12 days of release.

On the specialty side, Michael B. Jordan's "Fruitvale Station" was released at the same time as the verdict was made in the George Zimmerman case. As a result the movie grossed $377,285 from only seven theaters for an amazing per-screen average of $53,898, the third best of the year. "Fruitvale Station" has a 90% fresh rating.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Mike Powers

Marq

Quote from: Mike Powers on July 16, 2013, 01:35:40 PM
Giant robots hold no interest to me.

To you or the American public, apparently.

Everyone here at ILM was like, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat."
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Alex Smiley

I blame the economy. I wanted to see it, but having no money makes it difficult lol

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Strike

It was a fantastic movie.

I mean, I was hype enough as it was before Hideo Kojima (the guy behind the Metal Gear series) praised it immensely. Definitely worth a look, it's a shame that it's going the John Carter route in terms of the box office.

Marq

"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

! JDM The Professional !

Visually it was amazing.  The storyline was shit and acting was very sub par. If you're spending 200mill on a movie,  get good actors.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Goldferg

Having now seen it I can honestly call it the best Neon Genesis Evangelion film never made.

Seriously though, it's a frickin' love affair to old school Godzilla style movies and mecha anime. And as someone who appreciates both of those I loved it.
Quote from: The Bong Guy Stoner Hall on February 06, 2010, 01:11:21 PM
I hammered The Pink Ranger...  I never thought I would be so sad to say that.....
Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on May 12, 2015, 11:15:06 AM
Becoming a super beast with a tendency for high octane flying shits...its a lifestyle choice.

Jon

Quote from: ! JDM The Professional ! on July 17, 2013, 03:17:06 AM
Visually it was amazing.  The storyline was shit and acting was very sub par. If you're spending 200mill on a movie,  get good actors.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

GM Franchise

I looked past the bad acting for the fight scenes but then again I'm a big Godzilla fan, lol.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Stoner

Quote from: The God Damn J-Vo on July 23, 2013, 10:43:13 PM
Seriously though, it's a frickin' love affair to old school Godzilla style movies and mecha anime. And as someone who appreciates both of those I loved it.

This plus the fact that GLaDOS's voice is in the movie means I need to see it immediately.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Ty

Quote from: ! JDM The Professional ! on July 17, 2013, 03:17:06 AM

Agreed

If you are able to submerse yourself and suspend reality a lot, its a great movie. Its even funner to rip apart

Jonny Worldbeater

Interesting article about the movie and the concept of visual storytelling.

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on July 25, 2013, 08:09:54 PM
Interesting article about the movie and the concept of visual storytelling.

This is actually a great article. Gives good perspective on the movie. I think most people went into the film (as I did) expecting some usual del toro dialog full of awesomeness,  but he took a completely different path. The dialog still sucks ass, but the visual storytelling rocked. It's a real shame they couldn't do more with the acting of the characters though.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs